Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 2003 06:44:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        "C. Stephen Gunn" <csg@waterspout.com>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PCI-X Multiport Serial cards.

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, C. Stephen Gunn wrote:

> Jamie Bowden (ragnar@sysabend.org) likely uttered:

> > Does anyone have any experience with PCI-X multiport serial cards
> > under FreeBSD (4 or 5, either is fine)?  I've got a 1u Dell machine
> > that in 3 weeks will lose it's current role in life, and I'd like to
> > use it as a console server for a bunch of headless SGI and Sun boxes.
> > Its only expansion slot is PCI-X.  If anyone can recommend a known
> > working card with at least 8 ports, I'd appreciate it.

> First I think that PCI-X is just 133Mhz by 64-bit PCI.  You should be
> bacward compatible.  Regular PCI is perfect for nearly anything you
> might want to do.  And this machine clearly has the muscle to be one
> heck of a nice conserver.

PCI-X is a different form, a standard PCI card will not fit and line up
with the edge of the case (I found this out when I tried to add a parallel
port to the machine, a plain jane PCI parallel card didn't fit).

> You might check out the PCI boards from Cyclades.  I've used both
> the Cyclom-Y and Cyclom-Z board successfully under FreeBSD.  I did
> have some trouble with Cyclom-Y under 4.X and reverted to 2.2.8
> to run it (It was 3 years ago so I can't be sure).

I'll have to check with Cyclades and see if they are selling PCI-X form
cards yet.  Has anyone tried any of the Cyclades cards under 5.x?  This
machine would be tracking RELENG_5_1 initially, and 5-S once it migrates
from 4.

> You might also look into the 1-U rackmount products from Lantronix
> or Cyclades.  A private Ethernet segment is nearly as good as
> a custom interconnect to the server.

I have network access to the machines in question now; the plan is to have
their consoles available to me from my desk via ssh or a remote location
(this machine will have a modem on it in case the network is down and I
need to get in).  I've considered using an old portmaster 2e, but it
doesn't do ssh.  Currently I just have an old Wyse term that I shuffle
cables around on depending on which machine I need console access to.

> KS Braunsdorf's variant of conserver we run at work knows how
> to talk directly to a tcp/ip destination, you just spell the
> serial device differently in conserver.cf.  I'm not sure about
> the ports, or comserver.com variants of conserver, but it wouldn't
> surprise me if they supported it too.
>
> The machine you have could easily handle 2-3 Muxes, so you
> have plenty of room to grow.  Plus you can easily drop a second
> machine on the black network and not be dead if the conserver
> has a hardware issue, either. :)
>
>  - Steve

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"