Date:      Tue, 15 Jul 1997 18:18:46 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: CTM and the Attic

On Monday, 14th July 1997, Ollivier Robert wrote:

>The main problem with CTM is when large number of files are deleted. The
>deleted files end up in the Attic but get transmitted. Problem is that the
>delta generation has no concept of "a file being moved"...

As has been mentioned before, it would not be too hard to change the CTM
generation program to look for /path/Attic/file if /path/file is missing
and emit some sort of "move and modify" delta.  It could be even more
ambitious and try to match all new files against all deleted files, if the
"Attic" heuristic failed.

I even have the time and inclination to code this.  But it would require
all ctm users to upgrade their executables.

I suppose it could be transitioned in by creating all new lists, and letting
people subscribe themselves when their software can handle it.  Who's for
this?

>When Bruce deleted old files from gdb, the CTM delta (compressed!) was 3 MB
>worth...

Painful, but is it painful enough to make everyone upgrade?  I think it
would make a lot of sense for cvs-cur because moves are more prevalent
there.

Stephen.