Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2000 15:02:26 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ssh strangeness in -current...

On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Apart from my stupidness of not checking the location of the binary
> first -- what did I do wrong, and what's the recommended way of
> handling this?  Am I supposed to rm /usr/bin/ssh each time I install a
> new release or snapshot?  I can't believe that.

I avoid the problem by structuring my paths along the lines of
$HOME/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin (everythere, not just on
FreeBSD).

This way, if I (as sysadmin) install something in /usr/local, it
over-rides whatever the vendor supplied.  (Otherwise, I probably
wouldn't have installed my own version).  Likewise, anything I
put in my private bin directory over-rides anything in the common
areas.

In this case, it would mean that the version of ssh installed
(in /usr/local/bin) from the ports would over-ride the /usr/bin/ssh
in the base system.

Peter