Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 2002 13:05:33 +0200
From:      Carl-Johan Kihlbom <div@newcode.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Printing with CUPS

Hi!

I'm trying to get my FreeBSD computer to act as a print server. I'm not
having much success though.

I'm running 4.6.2-STABLE and I've installed cups-base-1.1.14 via
/stand/sysinstall. I started cupsd manually with /usr/local/sbin/cupsd,
and I can access the web interface at http://localhost:631/. There I
added my HP Deskjet 970 CXi connected via USB successfully, and was
able to print a test page from the web interface.

However, I seem to be missing a lot of important files. I have almost
none of the lp* binaries in /usr/sbin/. I.e. no lpstat, lpinfo,
lpadmin, etc. All I have is:

lp          lpd         lpr         lptcontrol
lpc         lpq         lprm        lptest

I tried printing from the command line using:
$ echo "test" > testfile.txt
$ lp -d Dozer testfile.txt
lpr: Unable to connect to /var/run/printer: No such file or directory
lpr: Check to see if the master 'lpd' process is running.
jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.

So I can't even print locally. Not much of a print server, is it?

So my question is short and sweet: What's wrong?

TIA,

Carl-Johan Kihlbom