Date:      Sat, 4 Jul 2009 11:52:36 +0200
From:      "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Marc Fonvieille <blackend@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Daniel Gerzo <danger@FreeBSD.org>, doc@FreeBSD.org, www@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: top navigation menu

On 2009.07.04 09:53:51 +0200, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 03, 2009 at 09:06:22PM +0200, Daniel Gerzo wrote:
> > Daniel Gerzo wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > [1] http://freebsd.rulez.sk/
> >
> > Also please note that at the above mentioned link I am proposing a
> > slightly modified layout of the index.html page. This mainly involves
> > the addition of a more visible "Donation" link.

I like the idea of the dropdown menu's but IMO need more polishing -
they look rather 'raw' compared to the rest of the website now due to
the very square boxes etc.

It should also be thought out a lot what belongs in each menu etc.

E.g. the deveopers handbook and porters handbook link is IMO misplaced
as it should be under documentation rather than developers menu.  Also
developers handbook is so out of date I don't think we should be
promoting it this much without an update to it.  A direct link to
cvs/svnweb would be much more useful IMO.

BTW. the foundation part could have a direct link to their donations
page as a submenu item.

> You replaced the "Learn More" link with the "New to FreeBSD" one
> (pointing to newbies.html).  I'm not sure it's really interesting cause
> newbies.html is not a page that would push people to adopt FreeBSD (just
> have a look at it).  The current version with "Learn More" is more
> appropriate giving some interesting informations regarding FreeBSD (it's
> what people should get at first when they come for the very first time
> on the page).
> When someone arrive on the first page he mostly sees the "3 links" only,
> the rest is for the person who spends more time on the page, so it's
> important to keep at least "Learn More" and "Get FreeBSD Now".

FWIW, I agree with this.

And as I have said before, I strongly opose adding the stuff to the
front page without removing something else (in this case the 'donation
button' is new).

--
Simon L. Nielsen