Date:      Tue, 14 May 2002 11:34:34 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Martin Karlsson <martin.karlsson@visit.se>
Cc:        Burhan Nazir <burhan@blueyonder.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vi editor behaving like a bad boy...

On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 01:17:44PM +0200, Martin Karlsson wrote:
> * Burhan Nazir <burhan@blueyonder.co.uk> [2002-05-14 10.49 +0100]:
> > In many Linux distributions, vi is aliased to VIM in the default shell
> > profile.  Therefore, you could be using and getting comfortable with VIM
> > (which is not VI).  FreeBSD comes with the real and original VI.
>
> I think Vi in FreeBSD actually is nvi (not that it matters, though).
> :)

	Yes, this is correct.  vi was the first whole-screen visual
	editor that Bill Joy hacked out in the late 70's; our (FBSD)
	vi/ex is a slight improvement written by Keith Bostic.

	<TRIVIA>
	One of nvi's improvements is, for example, that :wn will
	write a file and take you to the next in a series that you
	are editing at one time.  Every Sun I've worked on uses the
	old vi that Bill gave up on; it is slightly less useful than
	nvi.
	</TRIVIA>

	gary

--