Date:      Sun, 18 Aug 1996 10:03:41 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Nightmare.

: a) Write a filesystem which understands tar files natively.  Note: there may
:    be a slight performance penalty for folks running with their root
:    partitions mounted on a TARFS - perhaps we could note this somewhere.

I have heard rumors from my Linux buddies that they have implemented a
read only tar file system to load the initial modules from their
kernel.  Just boot the tar file, and it will find the rest sort of
idea (actually, I beleive it uses ramdisk or other ram image to store
the tar file).  I beleive the tar ball is freed from memory when the
real file system is finally available.

Warner