Date:      Wed, 20 Aug 1997 14:12:19 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        robert@chalmers.com.au
Cc:        "Kiattikamol Sucondhamarn"@xmission.xmission.com, <kiat@microvillage.co.th>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Connect to internet using FreeBSD?

Kiattikamol Sucondhamarn wrote:
#     I just start to use FreeBSD by last three month and I
# don't know to much about it (unix also). I bought FreeBSD
# 2.21 from Waltnut Creek CDROM and tried it for us to be an
# internet web server. Now, two month ago I can't get it up
# (for web server). In my pland, I have:
#
#             1. Web Server (FreeBSD) and using Netscape
# FastTrack Server to be a web server engine.

You should probably look at the Apache server.  It is the
number one HTTP server on the net, runs very well on FreeBSD,
and IS FREE!  ;^)

#             2. I have 1 of telphone line connected with my
# local ISP with dynamic IP address!.

OK.  Unless you use a connection that is always dialed up,
this isn't going to make for a very good web server.  Does
your ISP offer web hosting services?  Many ISPs do this; you
just create a 'public_html' directory (or something similar)
under your home directory on their computer and put your
HTML files there.

#             3. I just applied with dyndns (www.dyndns) for
# get the dynamic DNS service for anybody can reach my
# homepage by name.

OK, I'm familiar with the Dynamic DNS project.  For others who
may read this, the url is http://www.ml.org/ml/dynds.

#     My problems is:
#
#            1. I can't setup FreeBSD for using PPP connection
# because I don't know exactly about the step (When I use
# manual page it not clear) and I need it to connect to my ISP
# automaticaly every time that it reboot or just start or lose
# connection!!!. Please help me to config it by give me an
# instruction and Sample. (again I have dynamic IP address
# when I connected to internet.)

See "The Pedantic PPP Primer" at www.freebsd.org; this should
answer your questions on how to setup PPP.

#             2. I got software from dyndns its call
# "NamedControl" for register my new IP address with their
# server every time that the it was changed. Where I must to
# put it in FreeBSD config? because It suposed to run after it
# got IP of PPP interface.

Robert Chalmers replied:
> Firstly, you'll find you can't use it as a web server with

Actually, you could, as long as you keep the link up whenever
people might want to look at your web page.

> dynamic addressing. Nor can you register in the DNS with a

You can, using Dynamic DNS; that's what it was designed for.

> dynamic address. You will have to start first by applying for
> a permanent C class address, or asking your ISP to be assigned
> a permanent number from their list, which I doubt they will

Most bigger ISPs *will* do this, or at least will give you a
subnet.  At Xmission, the standard small business account gets
a 255.255.255.240 subnet unless you *really beg hard.*  ;^)

> do. Once you have solved that, the rest follows.

Go read the Dynamic DNS pages, it's quite a good idea.  I hope it
works.  ;^)