Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 13:54:33 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christian Tanghe <ctanghe@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   virtual tape or streamer device for backup purposes possible

Hello,

is it possible to configure a virtual tape, just working on an other
harddisk? Lokaly or on any other Server in the network
Writing an reading on it should be transparent for commands like tar, cpio
or any backup software.

Or in other words: Can you only load a driver for an non existent streamer
and use it to write on disk?
Or do I need a special software solution?

If you will excuse me ;), anybody knows if it exists a comparable solution
under Linux?

greetings
Christian