Date:      Tue, 09 Sep 1997 20:55:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Eric A. Griff" <eagriff@global2000.net>
To:        Peter Korsten <peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Amiga Was:Conclusion to "NT vs. Unix" debate

--snip--
>Perhaps I should say that I really want an Amiga, but then with a
>500 Mhz Alpha chip. The Amiga had a pre-emptive multitasking OS
>that ran in 256 Kb. Though some parts were a bit clumsy, the base
>was very good. The basic type was a Node (ordered in a List), from
>which you could derive (yes, object-orientation in C) a Task, a
>Library, a Device or any system structure.
>
>The GUI was good and getting better, so was the shell. ARexx was
>the third interface. This altogether made a system that, as I think
>of it, was better than Unix (despite it's excellent shell) or
>Windows 95/NT 4.0 (despite it's GUI). The fact that not all
>applications supported all functions of the system, doesn't make
>the system less powerfull.
>
>The Amiga has some functions that I really really miss in other
>OS's. Writing your own installer application in some sort of
>Lisp-like language - no need for InstallShield. Assigning logical
>names to devices, directories or drives. Installing new devices or
>filesystems while the system was running.
--snip--
>- Peter

Back in the late 80's I had an Amiga 1000, with the 256K ram expansion, and 2 3.
5" 700 something K floppies. It was amazing, at about 8Mhz, what this box could
do.. In fact, Still have it. Needs an Analog RGB Monitor, and 2 new floppies. I
ported The STadel BBS to it. For about 6 months, I ran this BBS with 100+ users
(1 at a time of course) single line 1200 bps, without any difficulty.. The funny
 thing? Between the 2 floppies, and a little disk slinging, I was able to develo
p, and compile (Using Lattice C) the whole system while it was running. User cha
t was something to do during the 30 minute compile. Of course, if you wanted the
 networked message bases (Citadel, among others), you had to call when I wasnt
compiling :) .

If I fell apon a Hard drive/controller for it, and maybe able to hack 8MB into i
t, and maybe a 68020, I would probably start porting FreeBSD over to it.. For th
e fun of it. I liked the 68000 architecture. I believe that if it wasn't for MS,
 it may have very well gone a lot further.. Probably the ST too. The porting was
n't that bad..

Eric A. Griff
RD#1 Box 372
Oneida, NY 13421, USA