Date:      Thu, 11 Feb 1999 05:19:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: portability of shm, mmap, pipes and socket IPC

Matthew Dillon said:
> :>     true on all implementations that I know of.  It is also appropriate -
> :>     the validity of the mmap()'d data only extends to the logical end of
> :>     file.
> :
> :Yes, yes, that's not the problem.
> :
> :The problem is that INN apparently still fails when using mmap without
> :msync.  The utility of msync is overrated; the code does not actually
> :do what the manual page claims it does, in any case.
>
>     'apparently still fails'.  In otherwords, you aren't sure whether
>     it's a bug in INN or a bug in the OS.  You don't know why exactly
>     INN is not working, but you are blaming FreeBSD.
>
>     There could be a bug in FreeBSD, but unless someone can track it down
>     a little better then "Well, this one program doesn't work so it MUST
>     be a bug in FreeBSD", there isn't much we can do about it now is there!
>     From where I sit, I don't see any bugs.

I would like to respectfully petition a modification of the above attitude,
in the sense that if an API works for one (and/or many other) OSes, there is
a significant chance of a FreeBSD bug.

Whether or not I acted on various known bugs, I still considered them to be
so, until proven otherwise.

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid