Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2000 15:38:19 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Evan S <kaworu@sektor7.ath.cx>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports collection

At 03:35 PM 11/14/00 -0500, Evan S wrote:
>I cvs'uppd my ports collection like the handbook and UPDATING file said
>to, will that be enough so after I make installworld and merge master my
>ports won't have to be recompiled?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Evan Sarmiento (kaworu@sekt7.org)
>http://sekt7.org/es

While I am busy griping here is another example.

This question more appropriate to -ports, but at least marginally concerns
-stable.  I'm not saying this doesn't belong here, but there have far too
many ports specific questions on this list.  Myself and others have pointed
this out.  In many cases the questions were answered very recently on
-ports.  If you use ports you should be reading -ports.

When in doubt re-compile them.  If you track -cvs-all (like you are
*supposed* to), then re-compile them only when you changes to
libraries.  The pending version bump is by far the best example, but
re-doing the ports you install is a good blanket rule when a commit has
"lib" in it.  Call it the "when in doubt" rule. ;)

As for how, check the archives for -stable and -ports. ;)

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve