Date:      Mon, 5 Dec 2005 17:13:16 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        user <user@dhp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cp/mv/etc : argument list too long ... I am sick of this

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 05:56:22PM -0500, user wrote:
[...]
> - since I live in 2005, what can I do to my FreeBSD system to upgrade
> it to handle the directories I have ?  How do I fix this so I can do
> normal, simple command lines instead of butchered ridiculous hacks
> like above ?

Upgrade the user. Start with the man page to xargs(1) as you are far
from the first to have this problem.

Is well and good that there be some limit to how much data one can pack
on the command line and incoming arglist in an application's
environment else fumble fingers could cause major havoc. IIRC its
currently 10k bytes.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@HiWAAY.net