Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 1996 01:16:21 +0700
From:      park@manado.wasantara.net.id (Eka Kelana)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

Mr. Doug White wrote this:

>You should make a new entry for your ISP with the proper settings (device,
>speed, login sequence).

Is this the ISP settings or my modem settings?
When I invoke "show modem" in user PPP, it shows me such settings (device,
speed and parity) except the login sequence setting. I don't know how to set
login sequence but I don't think it is necessary, since I use command "term"
to log manually into remote machine.
I need your advice about whether I should use a login script or log manually

>Are you sure this is the problem?  Did you check /var/log/ppp.log?

I have checked /var/log/ppp.log, and the latest (I know it from the time
recorded in it) log information I got from ppp.log looks like this:

Using Interface:tun0
PPP Started
*Connected!
SIGTERM
PPP Terminated

Well, I simply think that as I get connected to my ISP (logging in and start
remote PPP program), my local PPP program will put "*Connected!" in
/var/log/ppp.log file.
But as I have explained in my first e-mail, my local PPP program refuses to
negotiate the IP address with the remote PPP program and my local PPP
program gets stuck in "term" mode.
I have checked the connection using ping program to send packet to my ISP's
DNS address and it revealed me that the connection has not been established yet.
So I simply invoke kill to terminate the PPP stucked process, and I think
that's why my local PPP program put "SIGTERM" line in /var/log/ppp.log.

>Do you require any special authentication?

Is it really necessary? I have no problem with authentication when I make a
PPP connection using MS Windows 95.

>The other information isn't needed -- it's exchanged when the ppp session
>is negotiated.

Well, I thought so.
And I'd like to add that my ISP uses LAN Access product from 3com and the
operating system is the Cisco product. I hope this information can help you
to identify the problem and help me to make my PPP works.

>Doug White                              | University of Oregon
>Internet:  dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu    | Residence Networking Assistant
>http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | Computer Science Major

Thank's a lot Mr. Doug White, but I still need further help from you... :-)

-Eka Kelana-