Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:49:48 -0500
From:      "Slade Edmonds" <slade@smipc.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   adding second disk

I have used sysinstall several times to install a second disk onto a freebsd
system with no problems.  My sysinstall is not recognizing the disks on a
particular machine and I have poured through docs to find that upgrading the
sysinstall will normally fix this issue.  It has not fixed my problem.  I
now seek to use command line utilities to set up the disk.  I have followed
the FreeBSD guide to setting up a new disk and I'm having some problems.
The disk as indicated by dmesg is /dev/ad1.  If i run

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ad1 count=2

I get operation not permitted.  I have also tried this in single user mode
to no avail.  Any help is appreciated.

/s/