Date:      18 Apr 1996 01:15:54 -0400
From:      robert@elastica.com (Robert Nicholson)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help extended translation confusion.

Hi, I've read all about how Adaptec controllers do extended
translation and I think I understand what's going on. But I'm really
confused by what is happening with my DTC 3130B (NCR 815) and my Quantum Atlas
4 GIG drive.

When using FreeBSD's fdisk the geometry is reported as 1017 cylinders,
131 heads and 63 sectors. Now this translates to 4GIG with 512 byte
blocks.

So, why can I not currently boot any OS that is above 1GIG? The
controller appears to be doing translation already since it can
address the whole 4GIG within 1017 cylinders. but every OS I've tried
to boot above around the 1GIG mark fails.

The geometry is reported from the disk label right after it was
lowlevel formatted? Could the DTC being performing an entirely
different translation factor on top of what the drive's been low
leveled format as?  ie. the DTC ignores the disklabel and performs
it's own translation probably using 64 heads and consequently only
addressing 1GIG in the first 1024 cylinders?

Signed confused.

--
                  "Under the circumstances I will sit down."
            (PGP key: send email with Subject: request pgp key)