Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:15:39 +0100
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Forward: HEADS UP!  Default value of ip6_v6only changed

--------------enig8C7EF88DF4BA259B4593726B

I wrote:

> I find the notion of making people "fix" their software to not rely on
> RFC-defined behaviour problematic. I'm actually glad to see NetBSD
> reversed their unfortunate decision regarding the default (and OpenBSD's
> stunt of not even providing a knob is very evil indeed).
>
>> I understand that itojun would like to see this aspect of RFC2553
>> amended.  I don't know what the prospects of this happening are on
>> the IETF level.

FWIW, I wonder if the publication of http://bulk.fefe.de/scalability/,
especially the paragraph:

"OpenBSD also caused a lot of grief on the IPv6 front. The OpenBSD guys
intentionally broke their IPv6 stack to not allow IPv4 connections to and from
IPv6 sockets using the IPv4 mapped addresses that the IPv6 standard defines
for thus purpose. I find this behaviour of pissing on internet standards
despicable and unworthy of free operating systems."

has inspired NetBSD's move. :-)

--
    ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org