Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 16:35:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Scaling Apache?

Alfred Perlstein writes:
> * Steve Lewis <nepolon@systray.com> [000828 11:53] wrote:
> > > Zues, thttpd, roxen, there's a lot out there that are a lot faster.
> > >
> > > Supposedly Zues is king.
> > Do you happen to know what these do better than apache?
> "everything", apache needs a process to handle each request

Huh? That stopped being true a *long* time ago. Last time I looked at
the default config, the number of requests a process would handle was
set very low, but that is trivially fixable.

> this doesn't work when you have thousands of connections per-second
> it can't even deal with 200-300 per-second.

That's fewer requests than one process handles on any reasonable apache config.

Apache sucks for lots of reasons, but they killed the
single-process-request model quite a while ago. They also do beat the
(only marginally better) single-thread-request model.

> > I imagine that these faster servers would use the hardware in a way that
> > keeps request overhead lower (logging and caching tricks) but the
> > trade-offs in server-side scripting support could kill that.

If server-side scripting is an issue, I'd seriously recommend looking
at Medusa. It uses the fastest model I know of (select-and-dispatch),
avoids the strange problems Apache's preforked,
multiple-requests-per-child creates with shared objects, comes with a
scripting language built in, and is used by at least one high-volume
site (egroups, or whatever they're called these days).

	<mike