Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 13:47:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeffrey Dunitz <orpheus@cray.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   junk pointer error on telnet, rsh

Hi y'all...

I just installed 2.2.6, after severely mangling 2.2.5 in the upgrade process.
So I just decided to wipe the disk and start from scratch.

Now, something new and annoying happens. Look:

linuxbox:~> telnet freebsd
Trying 29.18.92.24...
Connected to freebsd.somewhere.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
inetd in realloc(): warning: junk pointer, too low to make sense.

(freebsd.somewhere.com) (ttyp2)

login:

At first I just thought that my linux box was doing something weird, but this
happens if I telnet to the machine from any number of non-linux machines,
either on the local net or from elsewhere.

It doesn't cause any real problems for me, but it is annoying. I looked in
the mailing list archives for someone with a similar problem, and found some
person who got the same error I got, but then it appeared that he couldn't
log in at all. I can at least log in, I just get the error.

Does anyone know how to fix this, or what the problem is?

Thanks.

Jeffrey Dunitz (orpheus@cray.com)          612-683-7266 | Yadda yadda yadda
Information Services    <http://wwwis.cray.com/~orpheus>| Nobody reads these
Cray Research, a Silicon Graphics Company = == === === =| things anyway....