Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 08:48:14 -0600
From:      Wes Barris <wesb@networkcs.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   How do you upgrade a FreeBSD system?

Hello,

I run cvsup to update my ports once a month.  After the last time
it ran I have begun to get an error message whenever I try to "make"
a port.  It says I need to install an upgrade kit (which I already
have but I keep getting that message).  It looks like I have to
upgrade the operating system.  I don't want to have to wipe the
system and install from scratch.  Do you know of any tutorial or
documentation on the www.freebsd.org web site on upgrading a system?
Why isn't this 34upgrade.tzg working?

root@aoki# cd /usr/ports/databases/mysql323-client                            > root@aoki# make                                                               > ===>  mysql-client-3.23.32_1 : Your system is too old to use this bsd.port.mk.+You need a fresh make world or an upgrade kit. Please go to
+http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/ or a mirror site and follow the instructions.
root@aoki# pkg_info | fgrep upgrade
34upgrade-2000.08.25 A convenience package to upgrade your 3.3 or 3.4 system
+to 3
root@aoki> uname -a
FreeBSD aoki 3.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE #0: Thu Sep 16 23:40:35 GMT 1999     jkh@highwing.cdrom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386