Date:      Wed, 01 Mar 2000 09:12:56 -0800
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: @Home Server Scanner?

"Crist J. Clark" wrote:

> I appear to be scanned regularly by an @Home host,
>
> Name:    ops-scan.home.net
> Address:  24.0.94.130
>
> It has been scanning my NNTP (119) port several times a day since the
> beginning of February. Previous to that, it liked to check my HTTP
> port (80) several times a day. That behavior dates to when I started
> logging on the firewall in January.

	A while back ( month or two? ) @HOME was getting some serious heat to
do something about the amount of spam their network was generating on
the news groups.  They promised to be take action and be better about
it.  They said most of the problem was people running poorly
configured NNTP servers connected to @HOME.

	My cable service is apparently going to be using @HOME when they
start offering cable net access, I don't really like the idea of them
not allowing me to run a web server or such ( assuming it's properly
configured ), but it is in their terms & conditions I believe.

--

Joseph Scott
joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu