Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 20:00:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bidwatcher cores

On Thu, 25 May 2000, Will Andrews wrote:

> On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 11:42:24AM -0700, Annelise Anderson wrote:
> > The bidwatcher port (1.1.5) core dumps when compiled with Mesa 3.2.
> > It works okay on a machine with Mesa 3.0 (and qt 1.45).
>
> Hmm.. doesn't happen here.  I just tried a build a few minutes ago, and
> ran it just fine.  Could you provide more information, such as XFree86
> and FreeBSD versions?

It's okay on X version 3.3.5 Mesa 3.0 libtool 1.3 4.0-STABLE (P-II smp)
It's okay on X version 3.3.6 Mesa 3.0 no libtool  4.0-RELEASE (P90)
Not okay on  X version 3.3.5 Mesa 3.2 libtool 1.3.4 4.0-STABLE (AMDK7M)

I deleted bidwatcher and Mesa on the AMDK7M and when reinstalling it
demanded a newer libtool; I wasn't aware this was a dependency.

> > I still have the work directory from the original port installation;
> > how do I compile it statically so I can use the static version on
> > another machine?
>
> Well, this is not easy.  Static compilation with a program like this
> isn't common.  :-)
>
> But in any case, if you truly want a static build, you'll have to edit
> the appropriate Makefile.in after doing a ``make extract'' (probably
> src/Makefile.in) and look for something like ``LDADD'' or just search
> for -lqt, that should give you the correct line to add ``-static''.

I think I would like it to work without doing anything that complicated.
I would like to be able to figure out what is wrong with this.

Thanks...

	Annelise