Date:      Sun, 14 Oct 2001 08:10:13 -0700
From:      sabine225@home.com
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /etc/ftpchroot doesn't work

> I have created the file /etc/ftpchroot andd added ftp users to it, is
> there anything else I need to do to get it working?

One thing but it probably isn't why it's not working for you. The path
to users home directory needs to be set to something lower than "/" but
it would have been normally anyway.

vipw
bill:UEl8KhAO5cMV.:1002:1002::0:0:bill:/home/bill:/bin/tcsh
#bill can't go any higher than /home/bill if he's ftpchrooted.

I just did it with bill as a test on a remote machine. I added the user
bill. I ftped to the remote machine using bill. I could "cd /" and "ls"
and I see the whole file system. When I created user bill I said no to
the put files in new users home, there is only "." and ".." in bills
home directory, i.e., no .login or anything.

I added bill to /etc/ftpchroot.
# cat ftpchroot
bill

# ls -l ftpchroot
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  11 Oct 14 09:45 ftpchroot

Logged off bill and logged back on bill and could no longer move up out
of /home/bill.

If there was something I did long ago that enabled this I don't
remember. But I don't think there was.

Or in other words, "it should work."

good luck