Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2019 13:24:19 -0800
From:      Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
To:        Phil Norman <philnorm@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X11 on Ryzen 2400G?

On 1/30/19 12:10 PM, Phil Norman wrote:
> Hi.
>
> First of all, thanks for the detailed instructions. Response inline.

sure thing!

>     -- pay special attention to the update the /boot/loader.conf
>

> Are you referring to the need to set 'hw.sysconf.disable=1', or is
> there something else I'm missing? I didn't see anything else on the
> wiki page, except for some debugging options (which I guess I'm going
> to end up using soon).

yes that is what i was referring to.  I do not have an AMDGPU system
myself but have been told several times that it is required.

>     - after you have configured the amdgpu.ko to load on boot verify
>     it is
>     able to load the kernel module and your console display looks
>     good.  if
>     you have issues loading the kernel module let us know, there are some
>     things you can try to setup to get a useful backtrace that will
>     help us
>     debug this.
>

> This is where I get to. I've removed amdgpu from /etc/rc.conf, so I
> don't have to boot single-user mode; when I run kldload amdgpu, the
> following happens:
>
> 1: the 'kldload amdgpu' process doesn't return immediately, yet the
> terminal is responsive; I can hit return, and have the cursor move.
> The mouse pointer also moves.
> 2: something around 5s later, the screen turns off, the keyboard goes
> unresponsive (caps lock light doesn't toggle), and the machine no
> longer responds to pings.

interesting, it looks like the kernel module and firmware modules do
load.  one thing you may want to test is setting the
"debug.debugger_on_panic=0" sysctl knob before loading the amdgpu.ko.
hopefully this will allow you to get into a debugger before the system
locks up.

cheers,
-pete

--