Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2002 18:32:33 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        jos@catnook.com
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Package system flaws?

Jos Backus wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 12:24:26AM +0100, Mark Valentine wrote:
> > Being guaranteed the /var/db/pkg/thuvia.co.uk/* (or
> > /var/db/pkg/uk/co/thuvia/*, whatever) name space would be better, of course,
> > as would be being able to re-target the installation (but I can of course
> > resort to my icky hack of editing the binaries in a post-install script if
> > this becomes an issue).
>
> Also, fyi, see the ``Delegations'' section on
>
>     http://cr.yp.to/slashpackage/names.html

He is cheating.  He is serializing name space allocations through
an individual person, in order to avoid collisions.  This is
basically the approach I tongue-in-cheek suggested when I jokingly
offered the use of the original 386BSD "patchkit" software.

Serialization through a human CVS repository is a bad idea; we
already have a namespace allocation system (DNS), in which
internal namespace delegation after you get past the individually
assigned domain name, is up to you.

The Java and Perl communities have used this with great success,
e.g.:

	${ROOT}/org/freebsd/system/bin/ls

-- Terry