Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 2004 03:02:47 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Call for feedback on a Ports-collection change

At 10:12 PM -0800 1/11/04, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>On Thu, Jan 08, 2004, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>
>>  To keep this as a "doable" project, I also have a fairly
>>  modest goal:  Further reduce the inode-count of the ports
>>  collection.  That's it.  There are many things which could
>>  be done as a follow-on to this, but that's all I want to
>>  try for right now.
>
>I'm not immediately sure how you'll be able to do this without
>irritating the majority of port maintainers (by dramatically
>changing the system or making it harder to work on ports,
>for little practical gain).  I think you'll need to come up
>with a prototype before we can evaluate the benefits and
>drawbacks.

Well, what I'm trying to address is a chicken-and-egg problem.
I would like to get some feedback *before* I implement too
much, so that I don't waste a lot of time implementing things
that nobody cares about (while missing more important issues
that everyone cares about).

I also think I need to come up with a better presentation for
what I ideas I do have, so it's easier to understand what I'm
shooting for.  I'm working on that now.

So, Darren and I will work on this for a week or two, and then
I'll ask for some more feedback.  I expected that this would be
an iterative process, and I know I kinda sprang this first round
upon everyone without any warning.  If we can't make a case for
this project after a few iterations, then we'll just give up on
the project.  Certainly we have no interest in pissing off the
very people who are getting all the real work done in ports.