Date:      Wed, 3 Oct 2001 21:54:19 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ProFTP / FBSD 4.4 couriosity

Dear Sirs.
After recommendation to drop wu-ftp and to install proFTP due to
security issues, I installed on our systems the proFTP server from
the FreeBSD ports.
Our actual OS is FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE on all systems. Because many of our
users haven't already switched yet to scp, we need a simple ftp server
for the time of migration.

Now I run into some serious problems with proFTP.

The machine hosting the proFTP server mounts the user's home directories
via NFS and the FTP server is configured to grant valid users within our
LAN login. That works fine, but each user on the NFS filesystem __must__
have the x-bit set in world-access (chmod 711) - otherwise the proFTP
server blocks service with the error that the ftp service is not valid
and the log file reports an error while chrooting to the specific user's
home directory.
This phenomenon occurs __not__ on local users, so I suspect NFS to be
some kind of 'problematic' to proFTP.

Users UID and GID are FreeBSD specific, means the users GID is identical
to the users UID. Local users have chmod 700 and ftp'ing to these accounts
works well, but not those on NFS filesystems having set chmod 700, they
must have set their permissions to chmod 711 ...

Can anybody help or confirm this strange behaviour?

Thanks.

Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)