Date:      Tue, 8 Jun 1999 11:47:17 -0400
From:      Mark Szlaga <mszlaga@coast.net>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ypbind not binding

Greetings,
   Short:I am having trouble getting ypbind to bind to the server. =20
   Long: I am running ypserv on my gateway machine.  This machine has =
been a dialup machine up until about 2 months ago when I got a =
cablemodem.  with the dialup I used alias, with the cablemodem I am =
using natd to allow the internal machines to connect outside.  Problem =
is, now I cannot get ypbind to bind to the server itself.  I am running =
the server so that Linux and Solaris (2.7) can use the NIS passwords. =20
   Running tcpdump on the network interface it appears that there are =
alot of packets from something (random source ports) to the network =
broadcast address on the rpcsvc port.  This only occurs when ypbind is =
running.
   What makes it even more strange is the fact that both Linux and =
Solaris connect to the server
fine, not one problem.  But the server cannot connect to itself.

Machine: P-120
OS: FreeBSD 3.2-stable (compiled about a month ago right after the =
release)
NIC: DEC 21140 based Kingston and NE2000 compliant SMC card
Video: Piece of crap 512kb ISA (it does text and only text :)

This is a basic stripped down machine with only what it needs to =
function.

natd, Kernel, and firewall created as per FAQ.  everything else works =
like a champ.

Thanks,
Mark