Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 17:31:51 -0401
From:      "Russell P. Sutherland" <russ@quist.ca>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Upgrading from the source

I've attempting to update several FreeBSD 4.2 and 4.3 systems
remotely to 4.4, by first cvsup'ing the current sources and then
building the sources. I believe that the install should
be done from the console in single user mode. (All based on
the "make world" section of Chapter 19, The Cutting Edge
from the FreeBSD Handbook)

A few questions...

1. Does make buildworld also build the kernel or
   does one need to perform a make buildkernel
   as well

2. Do the make installworld, installkernel operations
   need to be done in single-user mode? I'm thinking
   of a lightly used system

3. Given a neo-phyte at the helm, is the pre-building from
   source method easier that the upgrade option with the
   FreeBSD 4.4 CD.

--
Quist Consulting		Email: russ@quist.ca
219 Donlea Drive 		Voice: +1.416.696.7600