Date:      Sat, 16 May 1998 20:01:56 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/conf param.c src/sys/kern uipc_domain.c uipc_proto.c uipc_socket.c uipc_socket2.c uipc_usrreq.c src/sys/netinet in_pcb.c in_pcb.h ip_divert.c raw_ip.c tcp_subr.c tcp_var.h udp_usrreq.c udp_var.h src/sys/sys socketvar.h un.h ...

On Sat, May 16, 1998 at 01:51:48PM -0400, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> <<On Sat, 16 May 1998 13:24:39 +0200, Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no> said:
>
> >> This is called `maxsockets', and is currently defined to be the
> >> maximum of `maxfiles' and `nmbclusters'.  Suggestions for a better
> >> value would be appreciated.
>
> > What would be necessary to make it possible for this to be a dynamic
> > datastructure, instead of having a maximum limit?
>
> Can't be done.  The limit is there because we can't expand the VM
> space the zone allocator uses at interrupt time.  Dyson can probably
> explain why this is.

As can probably I :-)

To get around that problem, I'd expand the VM space in the top half of
the kernel ("somewhere suitable") when it looked like we were "close
to" running out of space (ie, close to the maxsockets case), and
probably start out with maxsockets somewhat smaller.  (There are, of
course, a lot of opportunities for high-water/low-water mark magic
around this).

Does it sound doable?

Eivind.