Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 1996 10:19:14 -0500
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Frame Relay and FreeBSD

Louis writes.....

>On the other hand, your Internet gateway doesn't have to fsck when the
>power fails and comes back again.  It doesn't serve web pages, or run
>SMTP.. it does actually route packets pretty well.

You're missing the point...you're comparing  a router to a host/router, and
I'm comparing a card to a router box.. No....my card doesnt have
any moving parts either. There are substantial performance and functional
advantages to having a common code solution between router and  server.
What's really funny is that you contradict yourself in  your next "argument"

>To each his own..  My PL50 works really well, and takes up less space
>than the ZyXEL modem I used to use.  It doesn't have moving parts, and
>doesn't need an external CSU/DSU.

My argument is to put a router INTO my server...your argument of putting the
CSU into the router is similar, except that you almost always dont have a choice
of which CSU/DSU to use with an integrated solution. If you dont care...then
fine...but they're almost never as good or reliable as external ones.

>> A good rule of thumb:  If you know un*x, use un*x....if you don't, use
>> something else.
>>

>Yes, it's true that if the only tool you have is a hammer, everything
>looks like a nail.  That's no excuse not to get the 'right' tool for
>the job.

I dont think that the "hammer" argument works here...theres no evidence
that your solution is better or more appropriate than a unix solution, and
much evidence that it is less flexible and lower performance (due to an
added hop, at the minimum). From the talk about problems with the PLs,
I'd say its a pretty risky choice.

dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25 for BSD/OS, FreeBSD
and LINUX