Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 1998 08:15:18 -0800
From:      Don Wilde <don@partsnow.com>
To:        "Alex N. Zhuravlev" <alx@scn.ru>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I need a device which can signalize the connection lost

> You see ... It must be a remote device.And a person who can only understand that if
> the light is on all OK and if off then he must call administrator. That's all.

I saw a neat tip in Electronic Design a while ago. You have a free
serial port on your machine? After your ping script reports failure,
have it toggle one of the free bits in the serial port, like DTR or CTS.
On the other end of that bit, have a red-green (or red-white) bi-color
LED plus a resistor tied to ground. You'll have to experiment, because
line loss in the cable to your 'remote device' will reduce the voltage,
but all you need is the LED, two wires and a resistor. In a nutshell,
toggling a serial bit causes the output pin to toggle between + and - 12
volts DC with respect to pin 7 common ground. You could even just use TX
and send data out the port at a low baud rate. This will give you
red-green flashing.

You know, this really is almost just $0.02 worth :)
--
  oooOOO O O O o * * *  *   *   *