Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 2002 08:54:41 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        anon user <downhillflyer@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports dont build: WTF

anon user wrote:
> hi , iam a freeBSD noobie. i've tried to build some
> ports. like kdevelop-1.4.1.tar.gz and vice-1.2.tar.gz
> they error out .. stop .. well crap !!  .. so wtf is
> up with this stuff ??  .. i've tried cvsup it connects
> says its doing it , but i dont get any version
> changes. also tried portupgrade , it says be sure to
> run  pkgdb -F .. i do and get
> /usr/local/sbin/pkgdb:34:in `require': No such file to
> load -- optparse (LoadError)
>         from /usr/local/sbin/pkgdb:34  .. so how to
> fix...   yes i got /var/db/pkgs ..
>
>  * :-(( .....  i really dont see the point to having
> pkg's that wont build.. is it me ? ..... thanks..

Well, for the most part it is you. Your major problem is using out of
date ports. For example, the current kdevelop is kdevelop-2.1.3. The
meta port kde-2 was recently removed from the port tree. If you have
cvsuped ports-all and run portsdb -uU to have an up_to_date port
structure and INDEX files, it doesn't want to deal with the ancient
versions of kdevelop-1.4.1 or kde-2.

Optparse is also out of date but it causes problems with portupgrade
because portupgrade doesn't know what to do with it. Once a port
disappears from the port INDEX file, there isn't anything left to tell
portupgrade what to do. Since it is still installed, portupgrade can't
do anything and you have to deal with it manually. The easiest is to
pkg_delete it and then upgrade the port that was using it.

It is no longer referenced in my system but what I remember is that
optparse was used by portupgrade and so you can't portupgrade
portupgrade without some manual work on your part.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA