Date:      Thu, 28 Nov 1996 21:22:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Alain FAUCONNET <af@biomath.jussieu.fr>
Cc:        "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/local/etc/*.d...

On Thu, 28 Nov 1996, Alain FAUCONNET wrote:

> Brian J. McGovern wrote / a ecrit:
> > I was just tinkering around with 2.2-ALPHA, and noticed that some startup
> > information had been shifted from /etc/rc.local into individual shells
> > in /usr/local/etc/rc.d (and others, for X11 for instance).

This came without warning and without documentation ;(

> > Now, although I think this is a neat idea. I'm not real keen on the location
> > of the files....

It's configured in /etc/sysconfig, the first configuration item
"local_startup".

> > Now, I'm a little hesitant to conform to this "new standard", as, if I migrate
> > from using /etc/rc.local to the rc.* directories, these directories will now
> > be common across all machines (which is bad).

Agreed.

> I absolutely second that. In  my  opinion,  /usr/local  should  remain
> under   the   total  control  of  the  local  sysadmin,  the  standard
> uncustomized version of the O/S should  not  touch  it.  On  my  site,
> /usr/local is also shared by machines so it would be a real pain.
>
> I  like the way it is done by HP-UX 10.*, keeping scripts in /sbin/*.d
> directories  and  configuration  files  sourced  by  those  scripts in
> /etc/rc.config.d.  I  know  that this might look a bit too SystemV-ish
> for people here, but it's certainly easy to manage across upgrades.

Of course, you can always change this by reconfiguring the server to use
the scripts out of /etc/rc.d/ instead of /usr/local/etc/rc.d, but any
programs that install a startup file will not figure that out.

> At the very least, I agree with Brian that startup files should remain
> in the / filesystem.

Ditto.

Since I'm unofficially part of the FreeBSD 'doc squad', I'll try to get
some information added to 2.2-RELEASE or to the handbook or whatever
regarding this system.  I'm as much interested in it as everyone else ;)