Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 1998 21:34:36 -0600
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Brian Handy <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp://freebsd.org - RIP

Brian Handy wrote:

> I thought people were starting to lean towards shar archives for this sort
> of thing.  I certainly dig shar archives, but if the people that actually
> have to do the work prefer otherwise, I'd like to know (as one of those
> folks who occasionally submit port stuff).  I guess the same applies for
> patches...I didn't know that was even an issue.

It's all about personal preference really.  Fortunately I don't
think there are as many ways to submit fixes as there are
committers, but I could be wrong. :)

Bottom line is we would be insane to say that we won't accept
patches/ports except in a particalur form.  I was merely suggesting
a form that I happened to be partial for to get a feel for what
other committers thought and to see if there was enough consensus
to document that we prefer a certain form but will take anything
we can get.  So as for the form of the fix, six one way and a half
dozen the other.

On the other hand, I do feel very strongly that a limit should be
put on the amount of clear text that can be submitted before it is
required to pass through some form of compression.  I don't know
what a reasonable limit might be.  I do know my connection and its
associated bandwidth bites and consequently I don't want to have to
spend hours downloading 1Mb of gnats bits everyday.

Steve