Date:      Sun, 9 Aug 1998 16:19:08 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Glenn Johnson <gljohns@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD advocacy list <FreeBSD-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: help in convincing management not to supplant Unix with NT

Moved to -advocacy.  I don't suppose -questions is really wrong, but
-advocacy is probably better.

On Saturday,  8 August 1998 at 22:09:37 -0500, Glenn Johnson wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> At my place of employment, the management team, who are basically computer
> illiterate, have decided that there should be no Unix machines providing
> network or Internet services, only NT machines.

Sure, that makes sense.  The Internet runs on UNIX.  Why use it to
connect?

My sumpathies.

> I am trying to convince them that this would be a mistake. This
> situation is complicated by the fact that the Network Administrator
> does not know anything about Unix and has shown an unwillingness to
> learn. Over the last 4 months, the AIX machine that the previous
> Network Administrator setup has been running happily without any
> intervention, while the NT servers have crashed at least twice a
> month. I personally have six FreeBSD machines (workstation usage)
> that have been running without any problems; but this does not seem
> to be enough evidence.

> I, along with a couple of other people are trying to present
> evidence to keep Unix systems running at our site. I searched the
> FreeBSD archives and found the reference to the article by John
> Kirsch about Unix vs. NT and have submitted that to management. I am
> curious if anybody else has had to go through this type of nonsense
> and could provide any pointers. I am particularly interested in Unix
> vs. NT for mail service.

I've been collecting some URLs.  You might like to check out these
(I've left out the Kirch article)

http://gpg.com/cnme/0496/file91.html
http://www.ncworldmag.com/ncw-04-1998/ncw-04-nextten.html?jw
 (this is the first of three or four articles on the subject; follow
 up via the links)
http://www.bsdi.com/info/ntvsunix
 (from BSDI, who of course have their axe to grind.  But they have
 some good links on this page).
http://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/msapogee.html
 (a bit old now, and possibly not so relevant)
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/980730/crl_networ_1.html
 (read how wcarchive.cdrom.com, running FreeBSD, outperformed 40
 Microsoft machines running NT).  This is still my favourite.

Greg