Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 2010 20:05:46 +0200
From:      "C. P. Ghost" <cpghost@cordula.ws>
To:        Chris Maness <chris@chrismaness.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Spontaneous Reboots (I thought it was Virtualbox Kernel Modules)

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 7:29 PM, Chris Maness <chris@chrismaness.com> wrote:
> I have commented out the lines that load kernel modules for
> virtualbox, and made sure they were gone with kldstat. However I am
> still getting VERY infrequent spontaneous reboots. So it is not the
> modules. I am thinking hardware. It has a temperature alarm that
> sounds when it is hot, but since I have cleaned it out I have not had
> any issues with heat. I am thinking bad processor/ram. It is
> behaving the same way before/after the upgraded to the latest release.
> What do you guys think?

Unless you're using ECC RAM, bad RAM should still be #1 on your
watchlist, closely followed by bad PSU. Even RAM that worked fine in
the past can start exhibiting bit errors a few years later (maybe due
to mechanical stress, i.e. vibrations or frequent temperature
differences?) and esp. el cheapo PSUs have the tendency to degrade
over time.

Of course, a software bug may always be possible. Have you tried to
get a core dump? If so, does the error always happen at the same place
(backtrace / bt is your friend)? If the error keeps occurring at
different locations, it's almost always dodgy hardware.

> Regards,
> Chris Maness

-cpghost.

--