Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 10:23:31 +1100 (EST)
From:      Iain Templeton <iain@research.canon.com.au>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Target mode on aic7880 controllers

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> >However if I try and do a rescan of that bus, the target mode controller
> >does not respond to an inquiry command.
>
> Can you be more specific?  Do you see a selection timeout or something
> else on the other controller?  If you boot verbose, the initiator should
> tell you about selection timeouts.

No I don't believe so. [Checks again] No, doesn't appear so, I put a
link to the dmesg output below.

Should a camcontrol rescan on the bus find the target device and create
a pass or pt device for that particular thing?

> >I cannot use camcontrol to send CCB's to the target device either since
> >there is no pass through driver allocated for the device.
>
> It doesn't make sense to send CCBs to a target device unless you
> are responding to an ATIO.  There is an example in the tree that shows
> how to do this.

Is that scsi_target.c, if so that is what I'm using.

> >So what I'd like to know is:
> >
> >1. Is target mode even known to work on aic7880's or aic7891's?
>
> I have not tested the aic7880 recently.  The 7890/91 and above did
> work the last I tried.

Hmm...

> >2. Is there any particular controller that target mode is known to work
> >well on. I know there are a few qlogic's that it is said to work on, but
> >for political reasons I can't buy one of them (or anything else for that
> >matter) right now. Plus, if we use SCSI for what I'm doing it will
> >probably be a motherboard controller, and I don't know if there are many
> >mb's with non-adaptec controllers.
> >
> >I have tried the same thing using an aic7891 as both the target and
> >initiator and that didn't seem to work either.
>
> Hmm.  What version of FreeBSD are you running?  I will try to
> reproduce this sometime this weekend.

4.2-STABLE as of yesterday eastern australia time. The versions of some
of the files are:

$FreeBSD: src/sys/dev/aic7xxx/aic7xxx.c,v 1.41.2.13 2001/01/09 00:46:53
gibbs Exp $

$FreeBSD: src/sys/dev/aic7xxx/aic7xxx.seq,v 1.94.2.7 2001/01/07 22:50:46
gibbs Exp $

$FreeBSD: src/sys/cam/cam_xpt.c,v 1.80.2.10 2000/10/31 22:09:59 gibbs
Exp $

$FreeBSD: src/sys/cam/scsi/scsi_target.c,v 1.22.2.5 2000/07/18 06:44:14
mjacob Exp $

> >In between the time that I turn target mode on and it gets turned back
> >off again I have run camcontrol rescan on the other machine, and it
> >doesn't make any difference.
>
> Do you have the processor target device in your kernel?  That is what
> the target mode sample driver emulates.

I have pt and targ in both kernels (since I've been known to try it the
other way around). I wouldn't put it beyond myself that I am missing
something obvious.

If its of any help at all the dmesg and kernel config files are at:

http://starbug.ugh.net.au/~iaint/target/dmesg.RICE
http://starbug.ugh.net.au/~iaint/target/dmesg.GIGLI
http://starbug.ugh.net.au/~iaint/target/RICE
http://starbug.ugh.net.au/~iaint/target/GIGLI

Do you have any suggestions of printf()'s that I could put in suitable
places?

Iain