Date:      04 Mar 98 10:12:48 +0100
From:      leifn@image.dk (Leif Neland)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED

At 04 Mar 98 08:10:47 Joe McGuckin (2:234/49.99) wrote to All  regarding Re:
URGENT HELP NEEDED in area "freebsd-hacker"

 JM>   Also, is is possible to change permissions on "/"?  I see that
 JM> "/" contains a ".", so probably.  That would break all kinds of
 JM> non-root things.
 JM>
 JM> Tom
 JM>
 JM> ----- End Included Message -----
 JM>
 JM>
 JM> Holy cow Batman!!! That's it. Somehow, '/' was changed to 700.
 JM>
 JM> I would have never thought of that.

<ANECDOTE MODE>
On my previous SVR3-system the spooler was also used as a job-queue; a
"printer" got a comma-delimited file, and produced a file in word-format for
mailmerge in another directory.
I once wanted to check every printer to see if they worked, so I made a small
script which did echo $printer|lp -d$printer
This "printer" did a chmod on /$inputfile. As there wasn't any input file when
lp got its input from stdin, it chmod / instead, so as in your case, only root
could log in. 4 hours of downtime, and a bill from support, because I did the
damage. I think I succeded to brush it off on the company who made the
spooler...
</ANECDOTE MODE>

Leif Neland
leifn@image.dk