Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 1999 23:22:04 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
Cc:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: System unique identifier.....

> > That's not quite true. It wouldn't be too hard to modify existant files,
> > but writing new ones/truncating would take a lot of work. It's still not
> > a great idea to try to use a file on the FS for storage of persistent
> > data. Wouldn't it be possible to have the kernel itself read in persistent
> > data (in some form such as getenv?) to be written to disk? That way, the
> > boot loader could pass it easily, and not have to worry about storage.
>
> This may sound like a heresy to you, but... Why don't use the Forth blocks
> for that?

For what?  Saving parametric data?  That was always the plan, but the
last thing I think anyone wants to do is rewrite the ffs code in Forth.

> They were invented for that purpose. We can create the files
> beforehand (under normal OS operation), then from the bootloader we can
> read and modify them - I suppose writing to a disk block is much easier
> than through the filesystem layer...

Yes, that's what we've always discussed as being the most likely course
of action.

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org