Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 09:34:17 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Development Environments?

> > > 	I'm looking for something in the way of a 'prototyping'
> > > environment that will work with FreeBSD for that I can do mock-ups...
> > >
> > > 	Basically, I want to be able to do all my development on my
> > > PII/FreeBSD machine vs an old and tired P166/Win95 machine, and need
> > > something that I can do 'front-end' design on in Java...
> > >
> > > 	Do we *have* anything like that available yet?  Or someone is
> > > working on something?
> >
> > I'm not sure I follow.  Are you looking for a Visual IDE, or what.
>
> Yes...I just took a look at Java-WorkShop on my Win95 machine (Baldur's
> Gate doesn't run under *any* Unix that I'm aware of *sigh*) and it pretty
> much does what I'm looking for...but runs dog slow (who would have
> thought, Microsoft and slow!)

It is that.  However, Amancio apparently got an older version of JWS
working under FreeBSD a while back.  Again, it's slow, but it works.

> I don't need it to build up the 'guts', only the GUI interface that the
> user sees, and I've always hated designing/writing UIs :(

Unfortunately, I don't know of any good UI tools under FreeBSD.  What a
number of co-workers have done is build it under Win95, then import the
code into source-code and then do the rest of the development under
FreeBSD.  The created GUI rarely works cross-platform due to lack of a
Layout Manager, so almost all of the 'created' ones need to be tweaked
anyway.

> > (BTW - I use FreeBSD full-time to do my commercial java work.  I spent
> > the weekend debugging Win32 bugs on my FreeBSD box, which makes it
> > much easier to develop/test Java applications that are deployed on
> > Win32 systems....)
>
> This is why I'm trying to move towards Java...my client is pretty much
> *pure* Microsloth, so I'd like to be able to *design/build* in my
> environment, but give him product that will work in his...

It's been nice.  You still have to do testing on the deployed platform
since it may 'run anywhere' but look like crap, but it sure beats
writing everywhere and testing everywhere.

Nate