Date:      Sun, 6 Dec 1998 18:44:53 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Leonid_Rozenblat <leonidr@nexus.co.il>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD general questions

Leonid_Rozenblat wrote:

> I would like to purchase and use a FreeBSD Unix on my home PC.

Jolly good :-)

> 1. Which FreeBSD Unix release suits for my machine (if any) (Compaq 5050
> Presario) ?

You've got three main choices really: -current, -stable, or the latest
release. Since you're new to FreeBSD, I'd recommend the latest release
from the -stable branch, which is 2.2.8-RELEASE.

> 4. Where I may purchase the correspondent CDs, including FreeBSD Unix
> sources and documentation ? Is the www.cheapbytes.com is the proper
> place (they offer some reduced prices) ?

Ideally, buy it from www.cdrom.com. It's more expensive, but the profits
go towards FreeBSD.

If you don't need the CD, you could just download it from your nearest
mirror, probably ftp://ftp.il.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.8-RELEASE/

> 5. Should I purchase Linux or FreeBSD Unix for OS learning and driver
> development purposes ?

I haven't used Linux, so I can't tell you. Everyone has slightly
different opinions (some people probably have very different opinions as
well).

Try them both, see which suits you better. (FreeBSD will :-)

--
Ben Smithurst
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk

send a blank message to ben+pgp@scientia.demon.co.uk for PGP key