Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:55:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <m_evmenkin@yahoo.com>
To:        Zhang Weiwu <weiwuzhang@hotmail.com>, freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org
Cc:        spacenet@xmu.edu.cn
Subject:   Re: [a bit OT] bluetooth with MAC OS

Hello,

> If you have tracked bluetooth list you know I am trying to setup a
> bluetooth LAN. Let me explain what I achieved so far: now I have setup a
> bluetooth LAN access server, rfcomm_pppd runs and listen to channel 7,
> accepting ppp connection without authentication (I didn't figure out how to
> accept multiple connection yet, but now a single computer can DUN to me.)
> Now I can have FreeBSD/Windows computer connect me and samba each other:)

good. i think you meant to say LAN (not DUN) :) those are two different
profiles.

o DUN - DialUp Networking - where client uses Bluetooth RFCOMM connection
  to connect to a *real modem*, i.e. in order to start PPP/SLIP/RAS etc.
  session the client *must* sent AT commands to dial a number and wait
  for CONNECT etc.

o LAN - LAN Access Using PPP - *very* similar to DUN, i.e. client uses
  Bluetooth RFCOMM connection to connect to *NULL modem*, i.e. client
  starts talking PPP *right after* Bluetooth connection is establised.
  (no AT commands, no waiting for CONNECT etc.)

> Now the problem comes with MAC OS. Someone in my office is using notebook
> running MAC OS X. She is a typical designer, don't know a bit about
> bluetooth/ppp; and I don't know a bit about MAC OS. On her network
> configuration -> bluetooth -> ppp there is a button "connect now", click on
> the button I am prompted with username/password, fill with random
> username/password I am rejected with "modem doesn't response". In bluetooth
> ppp configuration there is a modem selection list, about 50 modems, oops
> what is the modem for a FreeBSD server?

it should be pretty straight forward with Mac OS X. few people have
reported success. what you need to do first is to perform 'discovery'
(or 'search'/'inquiry') on Mac laptop (there should be a button for that)
and make sure you see FreeBSD server. when you start Bluetooth on FreeBSD
make a note of BD_ADDR. make sure Mac laptop can see this BD_ADDR.
FreeBSD BD_ADDR is the "modem" you should connect to. use empty user
name and password. again you should use LAN profile *not* DUN because
you do not need to "dial a number" to get to the PPP server.

> I guess it must be a hard problem to work on, perhaps I need suggestions
> from people who know both MAC OS and FreeBSD, but I don't even know which
> forum/mailing list where MAC OS gurus usually meet. I googled around
> without luck: on google they are mostly talking about MAC OS <-> bluetooth
> cell phones. If you can simple guide me to a good MAC OS list that would be
> helpful!

again it should be pretty straight forward and it is known to work with
Mac OS X.

thanks,
max