Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 1999 11:47:35 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Grant Beckerleg <grant@vbc.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: name server not found

Grant Beckerleg wrote:

> hello people,
>                       I have a mail problem - mail to a client from
> certain networks is being returned with following message :-
>
> Returned mail: Host unknown (name server:
> mail_server.primaryuk.com.:host not found)
>
> I know that recently they have changed mail systems from lotus notes
> to ms exchange. Mail from companies like ibm, ms get through, mail
> from ourselves, global.net and axis.com are being returned.

I can't think of anything - I'm not sure I like the '_' in the hostname
'mail_server.primaryuk.com' - but my NT machine here was OK about it... Have
you checked they can resolve that name on their Mail Exchange machine?

Does it return any other info? - What software are you using to deal with
this? Sendmail? - Theres a lot of sendmail info at www.sendmail.org, and they
also have their own Newsgroups / mailing lists etc. if you get stuck...

-Karl