Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 2004 17:41:35 -0400
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: em driver worse then fxp driver ... why?

[ ...crossposting between stable and freebsd-net trimmed... ]

On Aug 10, 2004, at 4:37 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> I've tried in bth half and full duplex mode .. full duplex, Ierrs
> climbs, half-duplex, Collisions climb ...

You should expect to see some collisions (1% or so) when working in
half-duplex mode: that's the nature of the beast.

Is your Linksys switch managed or unmanaged?  If you can set both it
and the em to manually configured 100/FD, that would be worth trying.
I'd also try swapping a cable plugged into a working fxp box with the
machine using the em, and see whether the problems follow, or whether
the fxp system starts having issues.  A bad cable or a flaky port on
the switch could also be causing your problems, but ethernet
autonegotiation failing seems to be more likely given the description.

--
-Chuck