Date:      Wed, 10 May 2000 18:26:28 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: .s -> .S filename change in /sys

On Tue, 9 May 2000, David O'Brien wrote:

> I would like to rename the extension of all the .s files in /sys that need
> pre-processing to .S.  There are two reasons for this.

I've wanted to do this for about 8 years :-).

> 2. If one has "-save-temps" in CFLAGS and edits a .s file, ``make'' will
>    not build a new object.  ``make'' uses the datestamp of the .s file
>    saved to disk due to the "-save-temps" option to `cc' since ``make''
>    is hardwired to check OBJDIR before any .PATH:'s.  Thus ``make''
>    incorrectly decides everything is up to date and nothing needs to be
>    rebuilt.

This is a bug in bsd.lib.mk and perhaps in other makefiles that override
.SUFFIXES.  In sys.mk, .S is before .s in .SUFFIXES, so the .S.o rule has
precedence over the .s.o rule.  bsd.lib.mk reverses this order.  This
must be just a bug, since there aren't even any .s files in non-contrib'ed
libraries.

Bruce