Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 2004 12:17:06 -0800
From:      Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
To:        Lute Mullenix <lute@cableone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GNOME is poor, is it?

On Thursday 08 January 2004 12:00 pm, Lute Mullenix wrote:

> The point I'm trying to make here is chances are your first install
> of FBSD is most likely just for playing with, so play. You may end up
> running Gnome or KDE, but more likely you will end up using one of
> the other WMs and really setting things up the way you like them.
> Heck you may even end up using twm, but I doubt that. Anyway, go to
> the ports collection, check out your options in the x11-wm dir, there
> are enough in there to keep you busy for quit some time.

In other words, while all the Linux distributions are busy trying to
figure out what desktop to officially support, at FreeBSD we're asking
the question "why the heck do we want a default desktop anyway?"

> This ain't Windows, so why try to make it act like Windows?

Oh man, I resent that! If they were like Windows I wouldn't touch either
with a ten foot pole! Windowmaker, as a plain vanilla window manager,
has more functionality than the Windows "desktop".

David