Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 1996 14:26:51 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: `const char rcsid[]' vs -traditional

<<On Tue, 30 Jul 1996 04:02:41 +1000, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au> said:

>>> Many sources no longer compile with non-ANSI compilers because they
>>> begin with

>>> const char rcsid[] = ...

>> So?

> It's broken for non-ANSI compilers.

I'm quite aware of this; indeed, I quoted precisely that in my reply
to your original message.  This doesn't answer the question of why
anyone would care (Terry Lambert excluded).  I certainly don't.

> It's inconsistent with the care taken in other parts of the sources.
> E.g., /usr/src/lib/libc/gen/getosreldate.c, which was written by someone
> named wollman, begins with a `const char rcsid[]' but then uses an ugly
> `#if __STDC__' to use a new-style header for ANSI compilers without
> (further) breaking things for non-ANSI compilers.

Don't ask me what I was thinking.  If ever I have a need to go back
and change that file, hopefully I'll have the sense to remove the
nasty conditional.

-GAWollman

MIT, LCS, ANA, or NSA|                     - Susan Aglukark and Chad Irschick