Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 2000 11:25:55 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Plans to change our debugging format to DWARF2

The GDB developers have encourage me to change our native debugging
format from STABS to DWARF2 (for ELF binaries).  This is your chance to
comment before I make my decision.

From a GDB person:

    STABS just wasn't made to do what it's being hacked around to do
    right now.  Fer instance, C++ support in stabs really just isn't
    there in GDB.  The fact that operator overloading works at all in
    stabs+gdb, is due to a hack.  DWARF2 has clear technical superiority
    over STABS, though STABS has more political clout, and more
    implementations.  The STABS implementation in gcc is more mature than
    the dwarf2 implementation.  In fact, DWARF2 even allows for debugging
    of frame-pointerless code, though we don't grok the unwind info yet
    (it's on my list).  As you can imagine, C++ in gdb works about 50x
    better with dwarf2 than with stabs in actuality. Things like inline
    functions, etc, work properly in DWARF2, and don't in stabs.  So, in
    simple terms, dwarf2 is just much more flexible than stabs.  If you
    need to do C++ at all, i would really go with DWARF2, the more that
    do, the sooner i don't have to deal with bug reports of bugs that
    just work when you use DWARF2, and I have to hack around in GDB to
    make work with STABS.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com)