Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2007 13:04:11 +0100
From:      Willy Offermans <Willy@Offermans.Rompen.nl>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?V=E1clav?= Haisman <v.haisman@sh.cvut.cz>
Cc:        imap-use@u.washington.edu, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: imap-uw on FreeBSD 6.2

On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 12:29:48PM +0100, Václav Haisman wrote:
> Willy Offermans wrote:
> > Dear FreeBSD friends,
> >
> > The following error appears regularly on my FreeBSD 6.2 server called
> > sun. The frequency of appearance is higher than on FreeBSD 6.1, where I
> > had this error from time to time. The error is not critical, since a
> > new instance of the imap program is started upon the crash, I guess. At
> > least the client users are not complaining about errors or
> > interruptions of the mail client.
> >
> > Mar 13 09:51:10 sun kernel: pid 46336 (imapd), uid 1012: exited on signal 6
> > Mar 13 09:51:10 sun imapd
> > Mar 13 09:51:10 sun in free():
> > Mar 13 09:51:10 sun error:
> > Mar 13 09:51:10 sun chunk is already free
> >
> > I use imap-uw on FreeBSD 6.2.
> >

> I get the same error occasionally, too. It doesn't seem to affect
> functionality.
>
> I advise you against using IMAP UW, unless you know your mailboxes won't
> grow beyond just few megabytes or that there will be only few of them.
> Their reading and rewriting of whenever you make changes can stress
> server quite a lot.

Dear Václav Haisman,

Thnx for the response. Indeed the error does not seem to affect the
functionality. You are right that the imapd starts to consume a
significant amount of CPU time. I have noticed this quite recently.
Maybe it is about time to move to another imap daemon. I will have a
look to this.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
With kind regards,